VW CRAFTER conversion executed with huge attention to detail.
This is a van that is more than capable of sustaining you off-grid with its 325W PV, 150AH lithium battery bank, solar rig, water and LPG tanks but would sit equally as comfortably on a campsite with its extremely tidy exterior and power hook-up. A full spec is bullet-pointed towards the bottom.
The van is complete with ladder, roof bars, Fiamma f80s awning and brand-new black steel wheels and all-terrain tyres for those tougher routes.
The cabinets have poplar plywood interiors with hand painted fronts and a solid oak frame. The kitchen seating area are finished in Farrow & Ball ‘Downpipe’ and the walls and bathroom in an ‘Indian White’. All cabinet doors are hung on superior Tiomos hinges and have strong magnetic catches. The drawers are mounted on Dynapro soft-close runners.
The kitchen includes the following: eye-level wall cabinets with shelving; slim, solid oak worktop; Thetford hob/oven/grill; sink and tap; end unit with shelving; under oven storage for oven trays; integrated Dometic CRE50 fridge; control panel cupboard which houses control panels for air heater, hot water heater, gas tank read-out, water level read-out Victron battery monitor and Victron CCGX.
The sleeping area includes a small step up to a full double width bed with bespoke, upholstered foam mattress, and a storage ‘trough’ both sides for a book, phone, drink etc and a charging point and reading light. There is also a ‘media’ shelf with 240v supply for a laptop. Hidden away is a secret cabinet space to stow precious items.
Towards the front of the van is the seating/dining area. This comprises 2 seats facing each other with the dining table in between. The table is mounted using a ‘French cleat’ system which allows it to easily be lifted out and moved down to bridge the gap between the two seats. The back cushions then slot in to create a 3rd toddler bed.
Above the front seats is the over-cab shelf with flap-up door; perfect for storing bedding. This has been carpeted inside and out to match the cab lining.
The bonded side windows are tinted for privacy and are neatly framed with painted reveals.
The nearside of the garage space is where the lithium battery, Victron Orion Smart DC-DC charger, 12v isolator, 240v breakers, and Victron Energy EasySolar 12/1600/70 which is your all-in-one MPPT solar charge controller, inverter/charger and AC distribution. In the centre garage cupboard is the fuse/switch board with switches and fuses for the lights and all 12v accessories.
The toilet/shower room is a wet room with drainage straight through the floor where the sink waste meets it. The room is ventilated through the roof with a 12v mushroom vent extractor.
The floor in the living space is an engineered oak finished with a hardwearing matt lacquer.
I’m Joe, a cabinetmaker turned converter, and this is the latest of my handcrafted campers. It is a brand new and beautiful one-of-a-kind conversion executed with huge attention to detail. Utilising a mixture of lightweight poplar plywood, oak veneers and laminates has resulted in a high-end finish whilst keeping weight to a minimum.
SOLAR, POWER AND LIGHTING
• Victron Energy EasySolar 12/1600/70 with MPPT 100/50 – Combines MPPT solar charge controller, inverter/charger and AC distribution
• Victron Energy Battery Monitor BMV700 – Comprehensive monitoring of a single battery bank.
• Victron Energy Color Control GX – Provides an instant overview of power system: battery state of charge, present power consumption, power harvest from solar panel, power provision from hook-up. Remote management linked to your devices.
• Victron Orion Smart – 12v-12v 30a (360W) DC-DC charger. Allows charging of lithium battery from smart alternator.
• 325W JA All Black Solar Panel – Half Cell Mono Percium – Latest Tech – MCS Approved.
• Battery Bank – 3no 101 Amp Hour FIAMM AGM, sealed batteries; offering a total of 303AH and a usable 150AH down to 50% discharge.
• AC Hook Up – 30m Cable included.
• Power Points – 4no 240v Sockets, 3no 12v USB charging points, 1no 12v Socket. Switched.
• Lighting – Main room lights; 5 LED downlights, switched with touchscreen dimmer. Kitchen; Under cabinet LED strip, switched. Bathroom; 1 LED downlight, switched. Bedroom; 2 LED reading lights, switched independently. Garage; LED strip light, switched in garage.
• Sound System – 100W FosiAudio BT20A Bluetooth amp. 4no speakers set into barn doors and bulkhead. Small subwoofer built in with grille into main room through bottom of bulkhead. Independent of cab sound system. Switched.
PLUMBING AND HEATING
• Fresh Water Tank – 113L Underslung tank, located where factory spare wheel was. Filler cap on O/S at rear. Control panel level read out in kitchen cabinet.
• Waste Water Tank –40L Portable Fiamma tank that sits under waste outlet. Stowed in garage space.
• Water Pump – SHURflo 12v 30psi, 7 Litres per minute; coupled with Fiamma expansion tank. Both fitted externally and underslung at rear. Switched.
• Water Heater – iMASS Instantaneous Gas Water Heater IWH-1.5E. Fitted through O/S wall at rear. Fed by LPG tank. Control panel in living area.
• Gas Tank – Underslung 30L LPG tank fitted externally and centrally, behind rear axle. Comes with European filling adapters. Control panel level read out in kitchen cabinet. Switched.
• Sink – Ikea Kilsviken Inset sink.
• Tap – Ikea Lunskar Mixer tap.
• Shower – ‘Domestic’ height adjustable, mixer shower – Hot and cold.
• Toilet – Thetford Cassette C223S. Electric flush, switched. Rotating bowl. Cassette tank is removable through a sealed door into main room.
• Living Space Heating – Propex Heatsource HS2000 12v LPG Gas Heating system with digital thermostat Swithched.
• Oven – Thetford Caprice 3 Hob, gas cooker oven and Grill. Fed by LPG tank.
• Fridge – Dometic CRE50 12v Compressor Fridge.
• Wheels and Tyres – Brand new black steels with Radar AT5 all-terrain, 245/65/r17 tyres.
• Awning – Fiamma F80s wind-out awning with tie-down straps.
• Ladder – Wheeliams hinge-mounted rear door ladder, finished with raptor paint.
• Spare Wheel – Wheeliams hinge-mounted rear door spare wheel carrier, finished with raptor paint.
• Roof Vents – 2no Fiamma Crystal 400 x 400 opening roof vents with fly net and retractable blackout blind.
• Side Windows – 2no bonded, tinted windows. O/S opening. N/S fixed.
• Roof Bars – 2no roof bars, suitable for surfboard or other lightweight load.
Finally, the garage area at the rear of the vehicle and under the bed is constructed using a tough, grey phenolic plywood. The cupboards in the garage house the Propex air heater, hot water heater and gas manifold on the offside and all electrical systems on the nearside. The wastewater container, awning pole are also stored here.
This van weighs 3200kg with full gas tank, 3rd of diesel tank, empty water tank. It has been fitted with additional airbag suspension which makes it handle extremely well.
Model: VW Crafter CR35 LWB